Olympic fever - get into it!Submitted by Rosalie Day on Mon, 06/18/2012 - 15:47
If the upcoming Olympics have you yearning to get active why not check out some of the sporting clubs and organisations on SAcommunity.
We all know about athletics and swimming. But maybe you didn’t realise that there are a whole range of unusual sporting activities that are played right here is South Australia. While we’re gearing up for the Olympics, check out this list of interesting sports and think about giving them a go, or mention them to someone you know …
- Archery– Australian archers have done well in recent Olympic competitions. You can learn by joining an archery club.
- Bocce and petanque are sports that originated in Europe and are now popular everywhere. SA Bocce Federation and provides information on how and where to play in SA. There are several petanque clubs in Adelaide.
- Broomball is similar to ice hockey. It is played on an ice rink in sneakers instead of skates. Broomball is played weekly at the Snowdome in Thebarton. More information is available from Broomball SA.
- Dragon boat racing is a great team sport.Dragon Boat SA coordinates and promotes the sport in SA.
- Fencingis one of four sports that have been featured at every modern Olympic Games. You can find a local club by contacting Fencing SA.
- Flying disc sports are better known as Frisbee - the South Australian Flying Disc Association can link you up with a Frisbee club.
- Marching - Olympians march in the opening and closing parades but marching is also a sport for people of all ages. You can march, coach, be a team coordinator, judge or get involved socially. Marching SA can connect you to a club.
- Parkour hasn’t made it as an Olympic sport so far but it has made an appearance in SA. The concept is to overcome all physical and mental obstacles in your path by using your body and mind to run, climb, jump and vault. For information about classes and workshops contact the Australian Parkour Association.
- Special Olympics give people with intellectual disability the chance to train and compete in sport – contact Special Olympics SA
- Wrestling is an Olympic sport. The SA peak body, Wrestling SA, welcomes all interested people to become involved in this sport.
If your sporting activity or club isn’t listed in SAcommunity, why not add it and help people to find out about it.
Sport Action by Qrodo Photos cc image from Flickr